The Kashmir Files is a 2022 Indian Hindi-language movie written and directed by Vivek Agnihotri. The film is based on the exodus of Kashmiri Pandits during the Kashmir Insurgency.

The movie revolves around the journey of a young student Krishna (Darshan Kumar), who goes from being brainwashed by professor Radhika Menon (Pallavi Joshi) to finally learning about what’s presented as the true events of the exodus of Kashmiri Pandits.

The film portrays the events surrounding the exodus as a “genocide”, in which thousands of Kashmiri Hindus were massacred, women raped and children shot. The displaced families are shown living as refugees till today.


n 1989 an unprecedented insurgency began in Kashmir. Discontent with Indian governance was long-simmering and a rigged assembly election in 1987 opened the floodgates. The Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), an organization whose objectives at the time were political, not religious, led the secessionist uprising but did not abjure violence. In early 1990, the vast majority of Kashmiri Hindus fled the valley in a mass-migration. According to several scholars, approximately 100,000 of an estimated Kashmiri Pandit population of 140,000 left in the span of a few weeks in February–March 1990.More of them left in the following years so that, by 2011, only around 3,000 families remained. Other scholars have suggested a higher figure of approximately 150,000 for the exodus.

On 14 September 1989, Tika Lal Taploo, who was a lawyer and a BJP member, was murdered by the JKLF in his home in Srinagar.] Soon after Taploo’s death, Nilkanth Ganjoo, a judge of Srinagar High court who had sentenced Maqbul Bhat to death, was shot dead.
On 4 November 1989, high court judge in Kashmir Neelkanth Ganjoo was killed near the High Court in Srinagar. 

In December 1989, members of JKLF kidnapped Dr. Rubaiya Sayeed, daughter of the-then Union Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed demanding release of five militants, which was subsequently fulfilled.[87][88][89]


On 4 January 1990, Srinagar-based newspaper Aftab released a message, threatening all Hindus to leave Kashmir immediately, sourcing it to the militant organization Hizbul Mujahideen.On 14 April 1990, another Srinagar based newspaper named Al-safa republished the same warning.The newspaper did not claim ownership of the statement and subsequently issued a clarification. Walls were pasted with posters with threatening messages to all Kashmiris to strictly follow Islamic rules which included abidance by the Islamic dress code, a prohibition on alcohol, cinemas, and video parlors[and strict restrictions on women.[96] Unknown masked men with Kalashnikovs forced people to reset their time to Pakistan Standard Time. Offices buildings, shops, and establishments were coloured green as a sign of Islamic rule. Shops, factories, temples and homes of Kashmiri Hindus were burned or destroyed. Threatening posters were posted on doors of Hindus asking them to leave Kashmir immediately.During the middle of the night of 18 and 19 January, a blackout took place in the Kashmir Valley where electricity was cut except in mosques[citation needed] which broadcast divisive and inflammatory messages, asking for a purge of Kashmiri Hindus.


On 21 January 1990, two days after Jagmohan took over as governor, the Gawkadal massacre took place in Srinagar, in which the Indian security forces had opened fire on protesters, leading to the death of at least 50 people, and likely over 100. These events led to chaos. Lawlessness took over the valley and the crowd with slogans and guns started roaming around the streets. News of violent incidents kept coming and many of the Hindus who survived the night saved their lives by traveling out of the valley.

On 25 January 1990, Rawalpora shooting incident took place, wherein four Indian Air Force personnel, Squadron Leader Ravi Khanna, Corporal D.B. Singh, Corporal Uday Shankar and Airman Azad Ahmad were killed and 10 other IAF personal were injured, while they were waiting at Rawalpora bus stand for their vehicle to pick them up in the morning. Altogether around 40 rounds were fired by the terrorists, apparently from 2 to 3 automatic weapons and one semi-automatic pistol. The Jammu and Kashmir Armed Police post located nearby, with 7 armed constables and one head constable, did not react. Such was the ascendancy enjoyed by the terrorists. Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), with its leader Yasin Malik in particular, were allegedly involved in the killings. Incidents like these further expedited the exodus of Hindus from Kashmir.

On 29 April 1990, Sarwanand Kaul Premi, a veteran Kashmiri poet was gruesomely murdered.Several intelligence operatives were assassinated, over the course of January.

On 2 February 1990, Satish Tikoo, a young Hindu social worker was murdered near his own house in Habba Kadal, Srinagar.


On 13 February 1990, Lassa Kaul, Station Director of Srinagar Doordarshan, was shot dead.

On June 4, 1990, Girija Tickoo, a Kashmiri Hindu teacher was gang raped by terrorists, who ripped her abdomen and chopped her body into two pieces with a saw machine while she was still alive.

In December 1992, Hriday Nath Wanchoo, a trade union leader and human rights activist, was murdered  with Kashmir separatist Ashiq Hussain Faktoo being convicted for the murder.

Many Kashmiri Pandit women were kidnapped, raped and murdered, throughout the time of exodus.